May 1, 2014

Veronica Roth - Divergent

I’m not going to lie about this, I did see the movie first before I read the book. Not an original fan of the trilogy but I’m liking it so far. 
I am unfamiliar with reading dystopian fiction as I find the different scenarios writers can pose to be quite ridiculous and often unrealistic. Veronica Roth, even though her scenario is extreme, after seeing how paranoid people can be and thinking about all the conflicts and wars, it is a possibility, however small.

The particular book I purchased had large writing, 487 pages, and extras at the back. Unfortunately I could not find a copy with the original cover art which meant it could be slightly altered to match the movie.

The book and the movie are almost identical. Usually when I read a book and watch the corresponding movie there are many scenes that don’t make the film. Also already knowing the characters inside and out from reading the book, the actors do let you down a little bit. I found this not to be an issue in this case with very few variances in the storyline.

Divergent is easy to read and easy to follow in the sense that the decisions of the characters are explained extremely well. The characters physical descriptions are subject to interpretation. Tris is described as plain faced, with skinny legs, no muscle in the beginning with bulging muscles towards the end. With little to go on it leaves the reader to imagine how she might look. This can either be a good thing, to make the reader feel comfortable with no discrimination based on vanity, or a bad thing, where the readers imagination may fail and make them feel uncomfortable reading about a faceless, shapeless character.

With actress Shailene Woodley, who portrays Tris, I did come into the movie hesitant of her capabilities. Paired alongside Theo James (Four) the contrast of the two together made it work brilliantly. The support actors and actresses also did amazingly. Jai Courtney who portrayed Eric nailed his personality and attitude perfectly.


I refuse to give movies ratings as they are very subjective, the book however I would give a good 7/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment