May 1, 2014

Welcome to Fort Lauderdale, Miami!

My stay here in Fort Lauderdale is brief. Only one night! But so far Florida has made an impression. It’s hot pretty much all the time, this morning at 7:30am it was already 27 degrees Celsius. 

The flight from Charlotte to Miami took roughly 90 minutes. We were on a small plane, three seats spanning the entire width of the aircraft. As it was so small, every passenger could feel the bumps on the tarmac and the sway in the turbulence. It was rather violent at times but I wasn’t worried.

The view as we flew in over Miami was incredible. I’ve never visited a city that has canals running alongside and under the freeways and highways. All leading out into these big lakes and ponds and then continuing on under another road to another lake or pond. It seems as if almost every house has their own watery backyard. The houses themselves are fairly large. Not as large as the ones in Charlotte, but large in comparison to Perth. You can see the difference in design as well. More Spanish influence on the architecture. 

The boats here, of course, are ridiculously massive. I can’t imagine someone needing a boat that big for leisure. Boats take a lot of work to maintain and a lot of money to run. Must be a lot of rich people in Miami…or everything is just cheap. 

Staying in the Hyatt Regency in Fort Lauderdale overnight was incredible. I stayed in my own room which was nice. Two Queen sized beds, sofa couch, large bathroom, and my favourite feature of all was the adjustable air conditioning. It is surprisingly nice to walk outside in the humidity and return to your room which is sitting at your perfect temperature. For me it’s 22.5 :)

I visited the Pier Tower at the very top of the hotel as you can see from the image above. Unfortunately I am waaaay too far away to see Miami clearly on a camera (it is also rather smoggy around the city). I also walked around the grounds of the hotel and took a few photos.


Now on to the Liberty of the Seas…

No comments:

Post a Comment