June 4, 2014

Borghese Gallery

I typically don't like going in to gallery's. Purely because I find them to be quite boring and I feel like I've seen all the good ones from photographs and movies. The Borghese Gallery however blew my mind. Not because of the sculptures, which I am aware is one of the big draws to the place, or because of the paintings on the walls. I find most paintings that contain a cross, a halo, or any kind of christian/catholic religious symbol in it to be an eye roller. 

The thing that blew me away was the paintings on the ceilings. I've never seen paintings on such a large scale done so incredibly well. 
Also, above each doorway were two cherubs holding a golden leafy vine whilst staring down on the person passing through. Each pair of cherubs were positioned differently with different expressions of their faces. It was really quite marvellous. 

Unfortunately you're not allowed to take any bags, cameras, or phones inside the gallery so I couldn't manage to grab any photos. If you do go ahead and look up the Borghese Gallery and see some of the ceiling art, I must must must inform you that they don't do any justice at all. I did go ahead and try to find a photograph of my favourite ceiling that did it justice but I couldn't manage it. 

If you do decide to travel to Rome, I definitely recommend heading over to the Borghese Gallery even if you don't particularly like seeing art.

Part of my favourite ceiling

No comments:

Post a Comment