July 18, 2014

Book Review: Insurgent

ISBN 9780007536740
Insurgent - Veronica Roth

It took me two sittings to read Veronica Roth's second installment of the Divergent series and I must say that I was both impressed and unimpressed by the book. After the excitement and adventure you take with Tris and Four/Tobias in the first novel, I was expecting something with more personal hurtles involved instead of everything being done as if for a chess game. The portrayal of Tris' frustration with Four was delivered perfectly, throughout my readings I was getting quite frustrated myself by his stupid reactions to certain situations. The emotions Tris was feeling was however poorly done in my opinion, the scenes felt rushed and any indepth information was skipped over. Whilst becoming enthralled in the build up of the storyline the importance of the main characters became quite transparent which is something I'm not a fan of when I read a series - I'm there to read about this characters journey and decisions and what they do about certain situations, not everyone elses. In the significance Insurgent plays in the series I would say it is both significant if you wish to know why certain characters have changed and died off, and insignificant as you could (if you wanted) skip this novel and piece together the events whilst reading the third installment. I am glad however to have read it as it means I can move onto the third and final installment Allegiant, with an indepth background of the characters and the storyline. Hopefully the ending to the series wont be a giant cliffhanger...

No comments:

Post a Comment