April 24, 2014

I saw a squirrel! And two foxes, and a deer.

Squirrels are just as I imagined them really. Small, fluffy little things. When they’re just chilling out, their tales sit hunched over their bodies, making them look even fluffier and cuter than they really are. Eventually when the little guy noticed I was there he scurried away like a strangely coordinated bunny rabbit.
The foxes I spotted were both running through the back yard. Only about knee high, red toned hair though not a bright red. I thought their tails would’ve been bigger, perhaps a bit more noticeable but alas they weren’t. 
The deer was smaller, more delicate looking. With thin legs, a small head and a relatively skinny body, I always imaged deer as these strong, large animals. The one I saw, I’m sure was strong, but I didn’t think they would be quite THAT small. Perhaps it was only a young deer.

The cars in America are quite a bit wider than the ones in Australia. Taller too. The utes, or 'trucks' as they call them, are these tall, block-like things. All the ones I have seen so far are shiny, which to me suggests they aren’t used for what they were originally designed and just a statement. Most other cars all look relatively new, or clean. I haven’t seen a ‘bombshell’ car yet. 

I’ve seen a few police cars, a few police officers as well. The police here look like they’re dressed in very casual clothing. Either that, or their posture is appalling and makes them look underdressed.

I also went to the shops today, or what I believe Americans call the ‘mall’. They aren’t particularly busy and a lot of shop employees are quite smiley. Happy. Too happy. No one should be that happy to stand for hours upon hours and serve people. Makes me a little suspicious. The shopping centres, or malls, are also very clean, which is also a bit strange. 

In a half hour I am to attend what I am told to be a very ‘American’ dinner. I’m both looking forward to it to see what is usually made, and also a little worried that it will be large servings and strange tasting food. We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are very funny Caitlin. Haven't read it all yet but loving what I have read.

    I have to take Chase out for dinner now, but looking forward to getting back to the rest of your adventures, through your eyes. Do you realise how cynical & funny you are. xx Skip

    ReplyDelete